drive alive holidays

Self-Drive Motoring holidays in Poland. Rules of the road in Poland.

Tips on driving abroad in Poland. Motoring rules and regulations in Poland. Poland motoring laws.

Self-Drive Motoring holidays in Poland. Tips on driving abroad in Poland. Motoring rules and regulations in Poland. Polish motoring laws.

Distance Chart from Channel Ports
International Driving Permit
Interactive Route Planner
Relative Carbon Emissions

Buy Road Maps of Poland

Motorway tolls in Poland

Make sure you Drive Alive! Drive on the right!

  • Be especially careful when setting off from service stations or restaurants on the left side of the road.

  • Take care when overtaking - allow more space between you and the car in front so you can see further down the road ahead.

  • Poland has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.2 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood - much stricter than the UK where the limit is 0.8.

  • Seat belts front and rear are obligatory everywhere.

  • Speed limits, shown below, are implemented rigorously. Radar traps are frequent in Poland, and heavy on-the-spot fines can be levied.

  • Remember - Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines, with a maximum equivalent to about 300 euros.

  • When approaching a roundabout give way to traffic already on the roundabout, on your left, unless signed otherwise. Be aware that roundabout etiquette is not well-observed in Poland, so be alert for traffic from all directions.

  • For other useful tips on driving behaviour in Poland visit this "Safe driving in Poland" blog.

A full UK driving licence is required. As in the UK, seat belts should be worn front and rear. Below are motoring regulations relating to Poland.

Speed Limits Motorway Open Road Dual Carriageway Town Alcohol mg/ml
Poland 140 km/h 100/120 km/h 90 km/h 50 km/h 0.5

Note: the speed limits for a dual carriageway are 120 km/h on an expressway or 100 km/h on a non-expressway dual carriageway and a singel carriageway expressway. Speed limits in towns at nights raised to 60 km/h between 11pm and 6am.

Children in cars: child under 12 and 1.5 metres in height cannot travel as front or rear passenger unless they use a suitable restraint system.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. You will be fined if the level of alcohol in the bloodstream is above 0.02 per cent. Over this level and you will incur a fine and/or suspension of driving licence. Over 0.05% and a prison sentence is likely.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

Fire extinguisher is compulsory for Polish registered vehicles, recommended for foreign vehicles.

First-aid kit optional

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG are available as well as lead substitute additive. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps. At many garages in rural areas only automatic pumps are available at lunch time, during the evening and weekend, so make sure you're topped up. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

GB sticker: UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker  when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: Dipped headlights are obligatory at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 18 for a car, 18 for a motorcycle over 120cc, and 16 for a  motorcycle under 125cc.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motorway tolls in Poland: Motorways are being built in Poland and some stretches incur tolls. The following links give more information, and in English.
a1-autostrada, a2-autostrada, autostrada-a4

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted. Children up to 12 or less than 150cm in height must be seated in proper child seat restraints.

Snow chains are recommended to be carried everywhere in Poland during winter, and if you do not carry and fit them when conditions demand the police can prevent you continuing your journey. They should be removed as soon as conditions allow so as not to damage the road surface. Click for general information on winter tyres and snow chains.

Warning triangle is compulsory.


All information on this page is provided as a service to our clients. It is intended as a guide to the more important rules for the different countries to which we offer driving holidays. It is not meant to be a comprehensive document. We try and keep the information on this page up-to-date, but we cannot be held responsible in any way for any consequences arising from any inaccuracies. If you find a mistake or would like to send us some additional information, please email us. Your co-operation is appreciated.

Newsletter sign-up

Driving in Europe
Driving in Europe
Driving in Austria
Driving in Belgium
Driving in Denmark
Driving in France
Driving in Germany
Driving in Ireland
Driving in Italy
Driving in Luxembourg
Driving in The Netherlands
Driving in Norway
Driving in Poland
Driving in Portugal
Driving in Spain
Driving in Switzerland
Driving in the UK
Green card
Low emission zones
Fuel prices Europe
Winter driving in Europe
If you like all the fantastic free information on Drive-Alive please come back here to book ferries, hotels, apartments, holidays homes, and car hire. You book with the provider and pay exactly the same prices as if you'd gone direct. We earn a small commission which funds the upkeep of this website.