drive alive holidays

International Driving Permits

Driving holidays in Europe for the independent motorist. Ferries, hotels, holiday homes, camping.

International Driving Permits for UK residents

Applying for an an IDP

International Driving Permits are issued by the Post Office. They cannot be obtained online, only at selected Post Offices.

All the information on how and where to apply is on the POST OFFICE website

Personal applications for IDPs can be made at selected Post Office branch offices. You must apply in person (this means that third party applications will not be accepted) and complete the application form available from the Post Office. You must produce one of the following original valid documents:

  • your UK driving licence (including paper counterpart if applicable, in which case a passport is also required)
  • a passport style photo

The official government website contains all the information regarding which countries require the IDP

Newsletter sign-up

Driving in Europe
Driving in Europe
Driving in Austria
Driving in Belgium
Driving in Denmark
Driving in France
Driving in Germany
Driving in Ireland
Driving in Italy
Driving in Luxembourg
Driving in the Netherlands
Driving in Norway
Driving in Portugal
Driving in Spain
Driving in Switzerland
Low emission zones
We hope you find the information on this website useful
We rely on commission from your bookings to fund this site. Please help us to keep the site up to date and accurate by booking your hotels and self-catering or ferries using the links provided. You will go direct to the or ferry company website and pay exactly the same as going direct, and we earn a small commission to keep us in business. Thank you.