drive alive holidays
Driving holidays in Europe - Plan your self-drive motoring holiday

Self-Drive Motoring holidays in Belgium.
Tips on driving abroad in Belgium. Motoring rules and regulations in Belgium. Belgian motoring laws.

Distances from Channel Ports 
International Driving Permit
Interactive Route Planner

Relative Carbon Emissions

Buy Road Maps of Belgium

Make sure you Drive Alive! Drive on the right!

  • Be especially careful when setting off from service stations or restaurants on the left side of the road.

  • Take care when overtaking - allow more space between you and the car in front so you can see further down the road ahead.

  • Belgium has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood - stricter than the UK where the limit is 0.8.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR BUS DRIVERS & TRUCK DRIVERS, the limit is 0.2 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood; this lower limit also applies for  CAR DRIVERS when they have passengers transported at a fee ( taxi, ambulance, limo with chauffeur,...) Penalties for these groups are also much stiffer.

  • Seat belts front and rear are obligatory everywhere.

  • Speed limits, shown below, are implemented rigorously. Radar traps are frequent. In Belgium heavy on-the-spot fines can be levied.

  • Remember - Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines.

  • Belgian motorways are toll-free.

  • When approaching a roundabout give way to traffic already on the roundabout, on your left, unless signed otherwise.

A full UK driving licence is required. As in the UK, seat belts should be worn front and rear. Below are motoring regulations relating to Belgium. 30 km/h speed limit zones apply in many towns near schools, hospitals, churches, etc, where children or elderly people could be crossing. These limits are strictly enforced, and, unfortunately, not always well-signed.

Speed Limits Motorway and dual carriageways Open Road Town Alcohol mg/ml
Belgium 120 km/h 90 km/h 50 km/h (30 near schools, hospitals, churches etc) 0.5

Children in cars: children under 3 cannot travel as front-seat passenger unless they use a proper child restraint system. Children under 3 in the rear must use a proper child restraint if one is available. Children over 3 and under 12 must use appropriate restraints front and rear.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. Belgium has some of the severest penalties for drinking and driving in Europe. You will be fined up to 125 euros on the spot if the level of alcohol in the bloodstream is between 0.05 per cent and 0.08 per cent. You will also have to surrender your licence for 3 hours. You could be prosecuted, which could result in a fine of up to 2,500 euros. Over this level and fines shoot up to 10,000 euros and you could face prosecution with a maximum penalty of 6 months in prison and a 5 year suspension of your licence. PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR BUS DRIVERS & TRUCK DRIVERS, the limit is 0.2 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood; this lower limit also applies for  CAR DRIVERS when they have passengers transported at a fee ( taxi, ambulance, limo with chauffeur,...) Penalties are also much stiffer for these groups.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine. As a foreign motorist you could refuse to pay the fine, but if you do you must offer a surety or run the risk of having your vehicle impounded.

Fire extinguisher is mandatory in the vehicle

First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG are available as well as lead substitute additive. Leaded is getting hard to find. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps open out-of-hours. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

GB sticker: UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker  when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 18 for a car and motorcycle.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted.

Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Belgium. They are also compulsory in Austria, France, Italy, Norway, Portugal and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU). The rules vary from country to country concerning number of vests required and whether they should be carried in the car or boot. Common sense suggests that there should be a vest for every occupant, and that the vests should be carried in the car, and put on before getting out. Do this and you will not have a problem.

Warning triangle is compulsory.


All information on this page is provided as a service to our clients. It is intended as a guide to the more important rules for the different countries to which we offer driving holidays. It is not meant to be a comprehensive document. We try and keep the information on this page up-to-date, but we cannot be held responsible in any way for any consequences arising from any inaccuracies. If you find a mistake or would like to send us some additional information, please email us. Your co-operation is appreciated.