drive alive holidays

Motor Vehicle Breakdown and Travel Trip Insurance

Driving holidays in Europe for the independent motorist. Ferries, hotels, holiday homes, camping.

Insurance Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about Motor Vehicle Breakdown and Trip Travel Insurance

Do I need a Green Card or Bail Bond?
Green cards are not normally required these days. This is an extension to your car insurance, so that you are legally covered when driving abroad. However, you should contact your motor insurer and let them have details of your holiday plans. A Bail Bond is still advisable when in Spain, as Spanish police can confiscate your vehicle in the event of an accident. Contact your motor insurer for this.

Does my car insurance in the UK cover me when driving abroad?
Normally, yes. But see the question about Green Cards. Vehicle breakdown insurance is to help you sort out yourself and your car in the event of an accident or breakdown. It is like AA or RAC insurance in the UK. It is not the same as UK motor insurance, and you should always let your motor insurer know your travel plans to ensure you are legally covered for driving abroad.

Newsletter sign-up

Driving in Europe
Driving in Europe
Driving in Austria
Driving in Belgium
Driving in Denmark
Driving in France
Driving in Germany
Driving in Ireland
Driving in Italy
Driving in Luxembourg
Driving in the Netherlands
Driving in Norway
Driving in Portugal
Driving in Spain
Driving in Switzerland

If you like all the fantastic free information on Drive-Alive please come back here to book ferries, hotels, apartments, holidays homes, and car hire. You book with the provider and pay exactly the same prices as if you'd gone direct. We earn a small commission which funds the upkeep of this website.