drive alive holidays

Driving in Europe. Tips for driving abroad.

Motoring rules, laws and regulations for the countries of Europe.

Self-Drive Motoring holidays in Europe. Tips on driving abroad in Europe.

Driving laws and rules in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Switzerland. Motoring rules and regulations in Europe.
Make sure you Drive Alive! Drive on the right!

Motorway Autoroute Autobahn and Tunnel Tolls
Distance Chart
International Driving Permit
Interactive Route Planner
Carbon emissions for driving
driving in europe

Speed limits in different European countries.
Every country has different rules, laws and regulations, so click the country links below to find out all you need to know.

Country Motorway Open Road Town Alcohol mg/ml
Driving in Austria 130 km/h 100 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Belgium 120 km/h 90 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Denmark 110 (some signed at 130 km/h) 80 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in France 130 km/h (110 when wet) 80 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Germany none unless shown 100 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Ireland 120 km/h 90 km/h 50 km/h 0.8
Driving in Italy 130 km/h 90 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Luxembourg 120 km/h 90 km/h 60 km/h 0.8
Driving in Netherlands 120/100 km/h 80 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Norway 90 km/h 80 km/h 50 km/h 0.1
Driving in Portugal 120 km/h 90 - 100 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Poland 140 km/h 100 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in Spain 120 km/h 100 km/h 50 km/h 0.5 (0.1 for new drivers)
Driving in Switzerland 120 km/h 80 km/h 50 km/h 0.5
Driving in United Kingdom 110 km/h (70 mph) 102 km/h (60 mph) 50 km/h (30 mph) 0.8

You should always tell your insurer when taking your car abroad. If you want to take a chance and not inform them make sure you read the small print. Some policies will offer a limited amount of time in Europe (normally up to 30 days), but many do not. Be aware that even those policies offering European cover normally only do so for countries in the EU. For countries outside the EU you will normally require a Green Card which many insurers no longer provide, so you might need to make a separate application to a specailist company. Finally, car insurance is not breakdown cover so make sure you are covered for this, although again you'll find that most providers will not cover you for non-EU countries.


All information on this page is provided as a service to our clients. It is intended as a guide to the more important rules for the different countries to which we offer driving holidays. It is not meant to be a comprehensive document. We try and keep the information on this page up-to-date, but we cannot be held responsible in any way for any consequences arising from any inaccuracies. If you find a mistake or would like to send us some additional information, please email us. Your co-operation is appreciated.

Newsletter sign-up

If you like all the fantastic free information on Drive-Alive please come back here to book ferries, hotels, apartments, holidays homes, and car hire. You book with the provider and pay exactly the same prices as if you'd gone direct. We earn a small commission which funds the upkeep of this website.