drive alive holidays

Car insurance in Europe, vehicle breakdown recovery insurance abroad.

Car travel and motor breakdown insurance for Europe and the UK.

Things you need to know about insurance cover for driving abroad

How to prepare for European driving
You may have packed your suitcase and even remembered your toothbrush, but if you are planning to take your car with you on a trip abroad there are plenty of other things to remember, from suitable car insurance to familiarising yourself with the rules of the road. Here we look at how to make sure you have the right insurance cover for European driving.

Vehicle breakdown cover and car insurance are two different things

Breakdown cover: Statistics from Saga car insurance emphasise the importance of taking out a suitable level of breakdown cover for overseas driving. According to its findings, the cost of repatriating a vehicle from Italy can reach £1,935, while in Germany it could cost £1,500. Motorway recovery to the nearest garage in France could cost £125 on a weekday and £155 over the weekend. These are the latest stats we could find and are several years old, so it's likely to be even more costly now. Attempting to find the money to cover the costs of a breakdown abroad could be difficult so Vehicle breakdown insurance cover provides welcome peace of mind in case something goes wrong.

Make sure that any breakdown insurance you might already have includes European cover - unlikely unless specified at the start. If you are likely to take your car overseas for more than one annual trip you should consider annual breakdown cover. This could be more cost-effective than taking out several single trip policies.

To read more about European vehicle breakdown policies, click here.

Car and Vehicle insurance: Car insurance cover overseas is vital too as well as being legally required. Thieves often target cars with foreign registration plates and there is also a greater risk of having an accident when driving on an unfamiliar road.

Do you have the right level of car insurance?

Many motorists assume that because they have comprehensive car insurance in the UK they will have the same level of cover abroad. In fact, the majority of car insurers simply include a green card within their policies which offers the minimum level of cover to legally drive in the European Union. For more on Green cards click here.

This means that even if you have comprehensive cover in the UK you might only get the equivalent of a third party policy overseas. This covers damage to other vehicles and injuries to third parties but will not repair or replace your own vehicle if an accident occurs. Some insurers do not even include this basic cover with their car insurance policies. It is illegal to drive without insurance, of course, so do make sure of your cover before you go.

However, there are a number of insurers that offer the same level of cover abroad as at home although this normally comes with an additional premium. The key is to check the terms and conditions before you travel and also examine the length of time you will be covered for as most insurers limit coverage to a maximum of 90 days, with some even limiting their cover to less than a week.

So look at your existing policy and ensure you find the answer to all of these questions:

- Do you have the same cover abroad as at home?
- How long are you covered for?
- Will you still receive options such as a courtesy car abroad?
- Are repatriation costs included?
- Are you covered for personal injury treatments in an overseas hospital?

What else do you need to know before you travel?

To help avoid accidents on overseas roads, familiarise yourself with road signs and any different rules that may apply in the country you are travelling to. Be particularly aware of changing speed limits when moving from a country road to a village, limits often plummet from 90km/h to 50km/h with only the village name sign as a warning.

Look into the alcohol limits in case you need to drive after a night out. In France, for example, the legal alcohol limit is 50mg in every 100mg compared to 80mg in the UK.

Finally, ensure your car would pass a safety check on a foreign road. in many countries it is essential to carry a high visibility jacket, GB stickers and a warning triangle.

For more on these rules and regulations see our country-by-country guide to driving in Europe.

Newsletter sign-up

Driving in Europe
Driving in Europe
Driving in Austria
Driving in Belgium
Driving in Denmark
Driving in France
Driving in Germany
Driving in Ireland
Driving in Italy
Driving in Luxembourg
Driving in The Netherlands
Driving in Norway
Driving in Poland
Driving in Portugal
Driving in Spain
Driving in Switzerland
Driving in the UK
Green card
Low emission zones
Fuel prices Europe
Winter driving in Europe
If you like all the fantastic free information on Drive-Alive please come back here to book ferries, hotels, apartments, holidays homes, and car hire. You book with the provider and pay exactly the same prices as if you'd gone direct. We earn a small commission which funds the upkeep of this website.